This is the Hip-Hop Amber Alert for this week from your good friends at CCIR. Anyone who remembers this song are my new best friends, oh and best believe that is quite an honor.... any-hoo this song thrust the word boundaries into my brain, and that random-full-circled me to the lack of boundaries in the workplace, so enjoy my ramblings on the topic.
“Your personal boundaries protect the inner core of your identity and your
right to choices.”
-Gerard Manley Hopkins
Let's talk about something that has had me irritated about the Cube world, and just the world in general, and that is people crossing boundaries. the concept of “personal space” seems to be so foreign to the co-drones I have the
displeasure of suffering working with 40+ hours a week. There are dozens of ways to do this, let's explore...
- Physically impinging on others (this does not have to be touching to be bad), I can't stand the 'hover-er' person, don't surround me like a vulture, I know this job is killing my soul, but I ain't dead yet!
- Spreading your crap out so it limits the space available to others, please keep your crap containes in your
- Talking excessively loudly about your pathetic life (or lack thereof), I already knew you were pathetic and now you open your mouth and remove all doubt.
- Having an obnoxious ring tone. Individuality is all well and good but you can hardly expect others to respect your individuality if it involves them being battered by it.
- Sending forwards to my work email is not hot in the streets, therefore is not hot in the cube!
So if you exhibit any of these behaviors, please check yourself or i will be forced to thrash you... what are some boundary-crossing behaviors that happen at your workplace?