Mediocre Expectations

*I kid, I kid, lol...*

I was talking to a wet blanket someone the other day doing my normal complain about my jobs rigmarole (Hey, they asked.). I also told the person about the blog and how I want to parlay some of the things I talk about into other ventures. I then added that this is a spot to vent and get the things I go through on a daily basis out of my system. After all of that, the only thing that she heard was me complaining about my jobs, and her response was, "Well, with all that's going on with the economy, you should just be happy you have a job." I proceeded to look at her like she had 2 heads and both of those heads had a jheri curl and my fist connecting. What kind of response is that? If I would have told her I was in a bad relationship and my mate was out doing ho-sh*t every night would she have told me, "Well, with the dating pool at least you have a relationship, you could be single." ?...womp...

After thinking about it for a while, I realized I used to think just like her. I had low/medium expectations. I was playing the game "to not lose" instead of "to win". My language was toxic, saying phrases such as: "at least" or "well I could be [insert bad situation]". "Not anymore," says Alise. (Watch out when I talk about myself in third person) Now, even when complaining, I speak in Portuguese a positive, high expectation dialect. Phrases like, "I can do better than this", "I deserve better", and "I will be the best" are often heard. Those that do not understand my uplifting vernacular can go in the opposite direction with their "At least I ain't been to jail" asses. Hmph.....


*Skip the video to 5:25*



*skip to 5:25*

4 comment(s) thus far...:

eysqueen said...

and thats y u my sista !

Gigi said...

There is a thin line between appreciation and complacency.

[flahy] [blak] [chik] said...

I totally cosign with GiGi!

Naturally Alise said...

@ gigi and FBC

I totally agree with you ladies, I have to to check myself all the time and make sure which side of the line I am on, excellent observation...

top