I have read some great books and definitely some bad books. Some I half expected to be bad, and some were huge let downs that made me extremely upset that I wasted the tine and/or money. I realized in these bad books there was a common vein in them that lent to their lameness. Here's a short list:
- Nonsensical story lines and characters permeate the world of bad "literature." I have read books where none of the characters are realistic; they just kind of do whatever was in the authors head after a cocaine bender. I like twists and turns in books, but make it believable and make it have a point.
- Underdeveloped characters are just as bad as the contrived ones. I have read books where I couldn't tell you more than one or two things about the main characters. What part of the game is that? Isn't a big part of the point of a story about the characters themselves? I want to build an emotional bond with character(s) in a book, it helps me get lost in the story or sometimes feel like I am part of a story. I read to get that emotional experience, it's what makes it fun or meaningful.
- Overuse of slang/patois/foreign language irks me to no end. I understand that some stories require slang in the dialogue, but I am not talking about in the dialogue. I am talking authors who write the entire narrative in that way. It is distracting, bad writing, and will make me put a book down tout de suite (immediately/quickly).
- Overly simplistic writing..... I feel my side-eye flaring up. I have read books, particularly "urban literature," that read like a remedial English class project. Now keep in mind, I don't feel an author has to use overly colorful language and complicated indecipherable metaphors, but please give me something that makes me think past a 2nd grade level.
- BAD F*CKING GRAMMAR and misspellings. Here comes my pesky side-eye again.... Have you heard of an editor? Was your editor taking shots while reading your book? There is nothing worse than reading a book and finding excessive amounts of errors. I should be thinking about a character's unrequited love and not the proper use of there, their, they're , noun/verb agreement, or how you say irregardless 4 times in the first chapter. Not a good look. Not a good look at all.
This is just a short list, what are some things that irk you and make a book unreadable?