We read and sh*t: Childhood Faves

My book fascination is far from recent development. I have been reading (and loving it) since the ripe ol' age of 3. I was reading on an 8th grade level in the 1st grade *brushes shoulder off* ... My favorite books as a kid are all over the place, some kid/teeny bopper targeted and also actual "literature".... Follow me real quick:


 My mom bought me this book when I was in about the 5th grade, it changed everything for me as far as how I looked at the world.  I had begun to see the aspects of cruelty in the world.  I finally understood why I never quite all the way fit in with my predominantly white schoolmates and friends.  This is when I learned what racism was and its roots... Quite a rude awakening for a 10/11 year old, ya think?  I remember I kept reading it over and over, it touched me that deep....










On a lighter note, I loved the Babysitter's Club Book Series, BUT my mama would only buy me the ones with the black girl as the main character, Fight the Power!, so I got a scattered view of it, but loved it nonetheless, censorship and er'thing...I loved reading about the camaraderie of girls who were entrepreneurs, how ya love that!?!








I read every single Agatha Christie book through middle school.  I used to get so wrapped up in the drama and intrigue of it all.  It was actually better than TV, I was such a nerd, but being a nerd was celebrated in my house so I didn't care about that.  Funny thing about that is now I don't particularly care for mystery books. 





I know y'all remember my favoritest (I know it's not a word, don't judge me) book in the whole wide world ever, ever, ever...  I even dedicated a whole blog to my beloved "The Monster At the End of This Book"...  go check it out, it is very entertaining!  And anyway Grover rocks!










 

http://bookshelvesofdoom.blogs.com/bookshelves_of_doom/images/2007/08/16/anastasia_good_cover.jpgI absolutely loved the Anastasia series of books by Lois Lowry. Anastasia was a smart, awkward, sweet, clumsy, misunderstood 4-eyed preteen.  Take a wild guess as to what I was as a preteen:  smart, awkward, sweet, clumsy, misunderstood, 4-eyed, lol...  I instantly connected with Anastasia,  she was one of the first characters in a book that I thought about as a real person, that is where my living and breathing  a book began. 

















Any-hoo, this is just a handful of some of my faves, what were some of you guys favorite childhood books and/or stories?

4 comment(s) thus far...:

amymay said...

My nerd reaches into the wayback closet...
Nancy Drew Mysteries
Cherry Ames Series
Little House Series
and poetry, poetry, poetry
Frost, Dickinson, Plath...
The first real literature I remember reading is The Portrait of Dorian Grey...creepy!!

Naturally Alise said...

I read the Nancy Drew books too... even some of the Hardy boys, I was big into book series...

suga said...

I feel like such a loser. While everyone was reading The Babysitters Club series, I was reading The Babysitters Club Little Sister Series. Why?!!?! I have no friggin idea. lol

During one summer that I spent with my dad in San Diego (I may have been heading into the 5th grade), his condo complex had a community library. Thats where I stumbled upon V.C. Andrews (author of Flowers in the Attic) and her Casteel series. I was hooked, even tho my young self should not have been reading about the greed, selfishness, incest, divorce and whatever other crazy mess she wrote about. It was a serious soap opera that I could not let go.

eysqueen said...

I was hooked on VC Andrews, lol. Everything I know about life came from those books.

top